35 Moving Tips to Simplify and Make your Move Easier
- Especially for kitchen & bathrooms, make “open first” boxes: essential items you will want to make transition more pleasant 🙂
- You probably need more tape & boxes than you think; It’s always better to have too much than not enough! Save receipts & return any extra.
- Don’t wait till the last minute, designate a moving staging area to put boxes & commit to packing a box or 2 a day.
- Protect clothes without boxes: pull tops of hangers through the bottom of a trash bag, secure them with twist tie & knot the top of bag.
- Clothes: Put a hole in bottom of garbage bag, pull top of hangers through, tie a twist tie around so they don’t fall in & knot bottom of bag.
- Ask your local newspaper for “end run” This is extra paper they throw out, not enough for another run and free of ink!
- 2 Inch Rule: Fragile items should have 2 inches of peanuts, newspaper, foam, etc. between items & the box.
- If you have important & very delicate items pack with the “2 inch rule,” then pack that box in a bigger box with padding surrounding it.
- Free Boxes – Liquor stores & supermarkets are a great place to get free boxes. Call ahead & they are usually very happy to give them away.
- Before disconnecting electronics snap a quick picture of connections or color code them to make hooking them back up easier.
- Protect yourself by getting your quote in writing (email is fine), & make sure to ask if there any possible additional charges?
- Gratuity depends on level of service & varies within service industry, water/sports drink is thoughtful & hydrates crew, increasing safety.
- If you ordered a Pod, call the week & day before. Some late deliveries are inevitable confirm & much less chance yours is the late one.
- Keep boxes under 30 lbs. This will make unpacking easier & keep your belongings safe instead of breaking through the cardboard.
- 2-3 months prior to move, pack belongings you won’t need. Downsize by having a garage sale or donating items.
- You can save yourself time & money by removing shelves & having lamp shades/light bulbs boxed up when your movers arrive.
- Don’t pack plastic bags, the inserts shelves sit on can get lost, keep those safe & any other screws & tape to furniture they belong to.
- Save on packing materials by wrapping your breakables (dishes, glasses, etc.) in clothing that needs to be moved anyway.
- Along with labeling what is in your boxes, also mark what room they go, so your movers can make unpacking easier for you.
- Cover the openings of your toiletries with saran wrap, then put the tops back on to keep them from leaking on your other belongings.
- Keep items organized by room & labeling boxes by category will help make the transition into your new home smoother.
- Check with your renters or homeowners insurances before move to see your coverage, sometimes a small upgrade can get you great protection!
- Protect valuables: money, jewelry, guns, passports/important documents, laptops, tablets, etc. Pack in personal vehicle or on your person.
- If you plan on cleaning old home yourself, leave the power & water on for a day or 2 after move date so you can come back & clean when empty.
- Driving a rental truck? Avoid the 3 most common accidents: 1.) Watch above, you need at least 12 feet clearance so no fast food drive thru. 2.) Never back up without a friend on the ground spotting. 3.) Anticipate your stops & allow yourself 3 times the braking time as normal.
- Moving can be stressful for pets or worse with the comings and goings could get out & lost if possible leave with a friend on moving day.
- Packing Boxes: Save time & your back, use a cleared-off table/counter in each room. You’ll find you get more accomplished and save energy.
- Moving Fridge/Freezer: Combat moisture & keep fresh by putting baking soda, coffee or charcoal in a sock or nylon stocking & placing inside.
- By law, moving companies can’t transport hazardous materials such as gasoline or anything termed combustible, corrosive, or flammable.
- Large appliances: Check owner’s manual for weight & dimensions to determine manpower needed to safely move & if disassembly is necessary.
- Don’t under or overfill boxes or they won’t stack properly. Fill empty spaces with towels, clothes, paper etc. & be sure top fits on square.
- Pack electronic equipment in original box or use lots of padding, preferably bubble wrap, & pack tight in a box so it doesn’t move around.
- Save time & your back by using a cleared-off table or counter in each room for packing boxes. You’ll get more accomplished and save energy.
- Trucks are less expensive to rent during middle of the month & middle of the week. Friday & Saturday are most expensive days by far.
- Lock pets in a room during move, while this can be confusing & frightening for them, better that then they are underfoot & get hurt or lost.
Email DC Top Choice Movers at DCTopChoiceMovers@gmail.com or Call (703) 679-7761 for moving help.
This entry was posted in Movers
and tagged movers
, Moving tips
. Bookmark the permalink